Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2010

A Carefree Moment

The sun’s shining bright, deceptively bright and the sky is cloudless. Looking out the window, one can easily forget spring has yet to arrive. Nonetheless, I can stay indoors no longer.

Walking around my backyard, the sounds of the neighborhood symphony resonate in my ear. Stopping for just a moment, I allow the harmony to sink in. To the south, I hear the occasional truck passing by on the highway less than three blocks away; the pocket dogs a couple houses up attempt to convince the world of their ferocity… self-delusion isn’t always a bad thing. Wanting to enjoy the full effect, I examine the sights around me. Several chimneys have white smoke dancing out, the scent of burning wood wafting my way. A robin hops around the backyard and, in the urban forest, another bird heralds his arrival back to Southwest Missouri. A squirrel scurries up a clothesline pole. Catfish the Black Lab – named after Lewis Grizzard’s faithful dog – has taken post beside me; he looks up as if to say, “What’re we looking at, Dad? Wanna play ball?” All seems well.

A local hospital’s helicopter heads west. Realizing someone’s facing a life threatening scenario, I send up a quick prayer asking for mercy to the person, comfort to the family, and wisdom for the medical personnel. Life’s cares begin to come back.

Catfish went inside; no doubt his arthritis is making itself known today. My sick daughter is beginning to stir about indoors. I’m beginning to feel the 41 degree air slipping through my jacket and my half-caff coffee isn’t keeping me warm. Begrudgingly, I make my way to the door while telling myself spring will be here soon. At least trout season opens day after tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment