Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Full-Time Dad

For those of you who checked out Reeling, you know I’m a stay-at-home dad though I don’t really like the term. Perhaps full-time caregiver is more accurate. Either way, this wasn’t what I had planned when my daughter was born. A loss of employment in an economy hemorrhaging jobs allowed me the opportunity to develop child rearing skills. Fortunately, I had something of a foundation to build upon.

Because of our experience with Chloe’s premature birth, and some health problems inherited from me, I have always been a bit more involved than I’m told most dads are. This came in handy when I became a full-time dad; don’t get me wrong, the first day found a nineteen month old and a 32 year old staring blankly at one another. She was as confused as I! In time, we learned to deal day in and day out with one another while becoming less of a mystery to the other. I didn’t realize this until it was time for assessments.

Due to some development issues, Chloe had been participating in the First Steps program; upon turning three, she had to be evaluated for entry into the public school system. While she was doing the testing, I was allowed to complete a mountain of paperwork. The documents included questions regarding dexterity, vocabulary, etc. Because of our time together, I knew all the answers! I knew my little girl far better than I thought I ever would. Looking back, I realize this was the moment I became comfortable being a full-time dad.

I’ve recently been reading and researching stay-at-home fathers. While there are many more of us today than in times past, we’re still far outnumbered by full-time moms. Even within my realm of friends, I’m the only full-time fathers. Many folks have questioned the parenting ability of rebel dads and the subsequent consequences on children. While a valid concern, I believe it unnecessary. On our next visit, I’ll explain not only why I say this, but some of the difficulties male caregivers face.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment