Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2010

Online Learning

I did something out of the ordinary this morning. I met a friend for breakfast. While this may not seem like a big deal to you, please understand. I seldom eat breakfast and I never have breakfast with someone unless it’s a sandwich with the buddy of the day while driving to the fishing hole. However, this gentleman is someone I hadn’t seen in quite some time and the opportunity to fellowship with him was one I couldn’t pass up.

In time, our conversation fell to online education. In his career, he speaks with employers daily and has found many of them lack respect for those earning online degrees. As a slightly insulted online graduate student, I found myself intrigued. My friend continued on to say many employers find many electronic learning (e-learning) students lack the basic social skills brick and mortar schools force one to learn. While I agree this is an inherent danger, especially amongst those who have attended only online schools, the benefits of distant education cannot be ignored.

•Online students are often more adept with technology because they have to be. To study in one’s home with no assistance from others requires a high technological aptitude and comfort. This will be greater evidenced as society further migrates to an electronic base rather than physical.

•Online students must learn greater self-discipline in order to effectively glean the most from the program. Speaking from personal experience, the “have-to” things of life can easily crowd out the blocks of study time; as a former brick and mortar student, I understand the accountability that comes from having a study group.

•E-learning offers an option for those unable to attend traditional schools. These barriers may be behavior or health related as witnessed in this local news story. Students desiring to work ahead and perhaps graduate early or those separated by distance also benefit from online education.

•Some students simply tire of brick and mortar schools. Due to a heavy work schedule, eight years were required to obtain my Bachelor’s degree. Once I completed my undergraduate program, I couldn't fathom sitting in a classroom for several more years. The top two features of any Master’s degree I would possibly consider were online availability and regional accreditation. Neither was more important than the other; both were nonnegotiable.

I have other thoughts regarding this subject, but I have decided a research paper is in order. If you’re interested, stay tuned. I’ll let you know when it can be found in my online portfolio.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment